DEFENSIVE PISTOL III CLASS
This course is conducted as a Non-Approved NRA Defensive Pistol III Class based off of the NRA Personal Protection outside the Home Course. We will focus on the techniques needed to develop a defensive mindset. The goal of the course will be to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to carry and use a concealed pistol ethically, responsibly, and with confidence.
The required prerequisite for students to attend this course is to have successfully completed:
- Possess a valid Permit to Carry Concealed from:
- South Dakota Enhanced Permit
- North Dakota Enhanced Permit
- Utah (Resident or Non-Resident)
- Possess a valid a South Dakota Enhanced Permit to Carry Concealed Class Certificate of Completion or Certificate of Completion from any State Certified Concealed Carry Instructor(s) from MN, NE, ND, UT.
- Successfully passed:
This class is the prerequisite class to attend our other defensive pistol classes:
- Defensive Pistol IV
- Defensive Pistol V
While attending this course students will learn about:
- South Dakota Laws relating to Firearms & Use of Force
- Rules for Safe Gun Handling when carrying a defensive pistol.
- Presenting a pistol from the holster – Drawing/Re-holstering.
- Levels of mental awareness.
- Developing the proper mindset when using a pistol for personal protection.
- Techniques for avoiding life-threatening confrontations
- Live fire training:
- Immediate action drills to clear common stoppages.
- Reloading under stress.
- Introduction to:
- Shooting in low light conditions
- Shoot/No Shoot Live Fire Drill(s)
- Movement to Cover
- Shooting around Cover
- Move off the line of attack and shoot.
- And more….
Certificate of Completion is awarded to students who successfully complete this class. This course is only conducted by NRA Certified Firearms Instructors. Students will take a quiz (70% minimum passing score), Live fire training, and Firearms qualification (25/33 minimum passing score)
Cross Breed Holsters - 15% Off Discount Code!
TOP GUN AWARD:
- One student has the potential to qualify for and receive the top gun award from their class!
- What does it take to earn this award?
- The requirements to qualify for the Top Gun Award:
- Class must consist of two or more students.
- Pass the course written quiz with a score of 100%!
- Achieve the highest qualification score in your class!
- During the qualification - fire the designated number of rounds per sequence with in the allowed time!
- Maintain 100% ACCOUNTABILITY with all your shots fired during the qualification!
- 100% ACCOUNTABILITY is defined as all shots fired by the student during the qualification, shall hit within the outline of the silhouette shape of the designated qualification target!
- What would the Top Gun Student Receive?
- The winning student will receive a Certificate of Completion Awarding the Tittle of Top Gun for your Class!
STUDENTS WILL NEED TO HAVE:
- HANDGUN –
- We recommend using a handgun appropriate for self-defense chambered in a minimum caliber of 9mm/.38 caliber.
- We recommend using a full sized pistol (e.g. Glock 17), compact pistol (e.g. Glock 19), or sub-compact pistol (e.g. Glock 26, or 43) chambered in minimum of 9mm/.38 caliber.
- We do not recommend the use of “Pocket Pistols” which are a very small handgun usually in .25, .32, or .380 calibers. Their small size and complexity will greatly increase the difficulty level of learning new techniques and could cause increased frustration on the part of the student..
- No Derringers are allowed
- No single-action revolvers are allowed.
- IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS IF YOUR HANDGUN IS ACCEPTABLE CONTACT THE INSTRUCTOR!
- MAGAZINES – 3 MINIMUM 4 RECOMMENDED
- MAGAZINES OR SPEED LOADERS POUCHES – PREFERRED
- 300 ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION NEW FACTORY AMMUNITION ONLY – NO RELOADS.
- 10 ROUNDS OF INERT TRAINING/DUMMY ROUNDS.
- Flashlight - designed for self-defense/concealed carry
- REQUIRED - Hand held Flashlight.
- OPTIONAL - Pistol Mounted Lights - Designed to mount to a full size or compact defensive pistols with rails.
- OPTIONAL - Pistol Mounted Lights - Designed to mount to sub compact pistols with out rails.
- EYE PROTECTION
- HEARING PROTECTION – ELECTRONIC EAR MUFFS RECOMMENDED
- BALL CAP
- OPTIONAL COURSE BOOK NRA GUIDE TO PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME
- QUALITY STRONG SIDE HIP HOLSTER.
- WE REQUIRE THAT YOU TRAIN WITH A FIRING SIDE, OUTSIDE THE WAIST BAND, BELT HOLSTER WHICH SECURELY HOLDS THE PISTOL SECURELY AND FULLY COVERS THE TRIGGER.
- If your preferred method of carry is or will be purse, fanny pack, or other position, we can give you advice on those methods of concealed carry during class.
- Holsters we recommend for this class:
- RECOMMENDED FORM FITTED LEATHER OR KYDEX
- MUST COVER TRIGGER/TRIGGER GUARD.
- HOLSTERS MUST BE RIGID ENOUGH TO REMAIN OPEN WHEN DRAWING AND RE-HOLSTERING.
- HOLSTERS MUST BE WORN ON THE STUDENTS FIRING SIDE, OUTSIDE THE WAISTBAND.
- HOLSTERS MUST ALLOW SHOOTER TO DRAW AND RE-HOLSTER WITH ONE HAND!
- If you have questions if your holster is acceptable contact the instructor:
- WE RECOMMEND FORM FITTED KYDEX OR LEATHER HOLSTERS - THAT ARE RIGID ENOUGH TO REMAIN OPEN WHEN DRAWING AND REHOLSTERING.
- BELT – QUALITY BELT, DESIGNED TO CARRY A HOLSTER AND FIREARM STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
- CONCEALMENT GARMENT – OPTIONAL NOT REQUIRED BUTTON DOWN SHIRT OR OTHER LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING TO CONCEAL THE PISTOL.
Private Class Options:
- Private Classes: $200.00(plus tax) per student* ** ***
*Private Class dates are subject to scheduling, approval by the instructor.
**Private Classes - Students may be responsible for additional fees, such as class room & range fees.
***Alternate locations may be possible but subject to approval by the instructor.
5 - Students Maximum.
CLASS DATES & LOCATION: